ADMISSION IN DIPLOMA COURSES
The candidates who pass X Standard or equivalent examinations with Mathematics and Science subjects are eligible for admission into Polytechnic Colleges. There is no age restriction to join the Diploma Courses with effect from the academic year 2004-2005. Merit within communal reservations is being followed in the general admissions. Special Reservation is being given to the following category for admission in this institution (as admitted through Government):
1. Son of Ex-Servicemen
2. Physically Handicapped
3. Son of Burma / Ceylon Repatriates
4. Candidate Sponsored by Other States
5. Son and Grandson of Freedom Fighters
6. Sports Quota – Participant of State and National Level Competitions Only.
The minimum qualifications required and number of seats available in the various categories of special reservations are followed as prescribed by the Tamilnadu Government. The candidates have to apply in an application form prescribed for admissions. Generally notification for admission is given in leading dailies at the time of publication of X Standard (Tamilnadu) results and the last date for receipt of applications will be fixed. The candidates belonging to Tamilnadu only can apply for the admission in any course in this institution. However, students belonging to other states are eligible for self supporting courses under payment seats only.
Children of Central Government employees and persons employed in registered Joint Stock Companies, Private or Public or Government recognised Institutions not domiciled in this State may also apply and compete with other candidates for admission irrespective of their domicile provided the parent or guardian of the candidate is employed for a period of 5 years (continuously) in this state at the time of submission of application, and shall be supported by a certificate from the employer of the parent or guardian. The certificate should also state that the person is a permanent employee of the firm or institution concerned.
Certificate of permanent residence shall be produced by the candidates who have passed their IX, X and H.Sc. or other equivalent examinations from schools situated outside Tamilnadu for considering them as candidates belonging to Tamilnadu. Candidates seeking admission against reservation quota shall obtain a certificate of social status in the prescribed form (duly numbered and printed) available with Revenue Authorities concerned. Otherwise they will be treated as belonging to OC category. The candidates should produce the original community certificate along with a Xerox copy of the certificate duly attested by officers of Grade A or B at the time of admission.
- A member of the scheduled caste on conversion to Christianity will be considered only Backward Class and not Scheduled Caste.
- No person who professes a religion different from Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism will be deemed to be a member of a Scheduled Caste.
- A member of the scheduled Tribe will however continue to be treated as such a member, irrespective of his conversion to any religion or his descension from such a convert.
- A candidate who claims to belong to Scheduled Caste by virtue of reconversion should give full details regarding the date of reconversion.
- Reconversion from Christianity to Hinduism will be considered only if notified in the Gazette before admission.
Candidates are warned that if the community recorded in the Certificate produced by them from the competent authority is not included in the list of ST / SC / MBC & DNC / BC or if the Community Certificate is not issued / signed by the competent authority, they will not be considered as belonging to ST / SC/ MBC & DNC / BC as the case may be. They shall be in that case considered only under “Others” and privilege that have been on the presumption that the candidate belongs to ST / SC / MBC & DC / BC will be withdrawn. The selection made already on the basis of community privilege shall be cancelled and they can’t claim refund of admission fee, etc.
The selection of ST / SC / MBC & DNC / BC candidate under Open Competition is in addition to the reservation made for them. Permanent Community Certificate to ST should be issued only by the RDO concerned. Permanent Community Certificate alone shall be valid. The community certificate is valid only after it is attested with the seal of State Gopuram.
1. Open Competition 31%
2. Backward Class (within BC, 3.5% for BC Muslim) 30%
3. Most Backward Class / Denotified Communities 20%
4. Scheduled Caste 15%
5. SC Arundadhiyar 3%
6. Scheduled Tribe 1%
* The percentage of seats under the above categories shall be as per the orders of Government of Tamilnadu.
The filled-up application forms have to be submitted on or before the prescribed due date. Applications received after the due dates will be summarily rejected. The admission for a student will be confirmed only after getting approval from the Admission Section of Directorate of Technical Education, Chennai. Students found to have furnished false information/certificates/undertakings or documents shall be summarily expelled.
Lateral Entry Admissions:
For Lateral Entry into the Second year (III Semester) of the three year diploma courses, the candidates are required to have passed the Higher Secondary Examination (Academic & Vocational) of 10 plus 2 pattern and ITI (related trade) with the following conditions:
- Vocational Stream candidates should have studied either Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry as one of the subjects of study along with the related Vocational Subject (Theory & Practical) at 10 + 2 level.
- Students who have passed 2 years ITI trade, can apply to related branch in Diploma.
- Candidates who have studied Commerce and Agriculture related subjects in Vocational stream are not eligible for admission into Engineering Diploma Courses.
Their intake is restricted to 20% of the sanctioned intake of the first year diploma courses. The candidates belonging to Tamilnadu State only are eligible to apply for the lateral entry admissions in this Institution. There is no age limit for the admission. Usually notification for admission is being given in leading dailies at the time of publication of +2 results of Tamilnadu and the last date for receipt of applications will be fixed. Applications received after the prescribed due dates shall not be accepted on any ground. The admission for joining into the second year lateral entry will be confirmed only after getting approval from the Commissioner of Technical Education, Chennai. Students found to have furnished false information/certificates/undertakings or documents shall be summarily expelled.
Time Limit to complete the Diploma Course:
The time limit to complete the diploma course prescribed by the SBTE is three years. The time limit to pass all the subjects pertaining to the course is:
Full Time (Regular): Six Years
Full Time (Lateral Entry): Five Years
A student admitted in this institution is expected to undergo and complete the full course in this institution. Candidates may be permitted to transfer to other polytechnic colleges, subject to the fulfillment of the stipulated procedure.
A candidate who had been transferred / expelled from any other institution, for any reason, shall not be admitted in this institution.
Change of Branch:
The students while being admitted in the first year are being allotted a particular branch of study based on their merit rank, willingness, community reservation, seat availability etc. The branch selected during admission is final and cannot be changed during the course of study.